Does app usage vary by age group? There are 15 top apps which are used by all age groups. But how much time they spend on each app and which app gets the priority usage varies according to the age group.
For example Angry Birds is more popular in the 24-34(29%) and 35-44 (35%) age groups. Only 22% of the 18-24 use Angry Birds as much. Of course this assumes the fact that Nielsen has a even distribution of people it surveyed across age groups.
Here are few interesting tidbits from Nielsen’s survey :
- Ironic as it may sound, Twitter or none of its ecosystem apps feature in the list.
- Amazon App Store is a prominent presence which could turn out to be a problem for Andriod Market.
- Facebook usage surpasses Google Search or Google Maps or Gmail.
- All age groups use YouTube rigorously.
- Android users are striking some balance and getting some work done which is indicated by the usage of apps like Quickoffice and Adobe Reader. Of course you can read porn using an Adobe Reader but I am just making an assumption.
No matter what age group an US Android user belong to, they use these 15 apps the most :
There’s music, there’s video, there’s weather, there’s social networking and there are games. These 15 apps strike a great balance for Android users.