After nearly a week of comparisons between Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Google Nexus S, Dell Venue & LG Optimus Black, I took the decision of buying LG Optimus Black. I have been using it for about couple of days now and I think I made a wise decision to go with it.
One of the things I always see while buying a Mobile phone is whether it is value for money – My first Android phone was Samsung Galaxy Spica and I have been extremely happy with it for close to 15 months that I have used it. Apart from some trivial issues here and there, it served me perfectly. It was worth every penny I spent on it and more..
And I hope LG Optimus Black will follow the same legacy!
This post specifically talks about why I made the decision of buying LG Optimus Black – If you are currently looking to buy a mid-range Android phone, this post should interest you!
Reasons why I bought LG Optimus Black
Before I start talking about LG Optimus Black, let me tell you why I did not buy its competitors…
When I started hunting for phones, my first choice phone was Google Nexus S. Android 2.3.3 and NFC were the 2 reasons I decided to go for it and additionally, I knew, I would have bragging rights to the latest Android OS, now and in the future. Flipkart’s price of Rs. 19,999 was too enticing and I just stopped shy of ordering it. Looking back I think I made the right decision.
Google Nexus S is a developer phone, there is no better handset for developers, but it has some basic flaws. It does not support external SD card, so no additional storage and although 16 GB is a lot, what happens if the phone’s OS gets corrupted or falls in a puddle of water in this rainy season. It’s not the phone, but you will lose your data and there is no way of getting it back. Also, the phone is quite clunky and the plastic back looks quite flimsy. When I handled the phone in the shop, it just did not give me a good comfort feeling.
Samsung Galaxy S was my 2nd choice phone, and again SGS has nearly everything that LG Optimus Black has but as of today it i sa phone that was launched about an year back and comparing it face to face with LG Optimus black looked like a winner.
Dell Venue was out of question because not only was it expensive, but lacked some of the basic features – I guess you just search for its specifications on Google and you will know what I was talking about. Dell Venue never really interested me!
And finally – Why LG Optimus Black? Here are the reasons…
- 4” Nova display is awesome…If you crank up the brightness to maximum, it is so bright that probably your eyes hurt (in a good way). I can confidently say it is brighter than AMOLED – I used it in SUN (the little that I could get due to cloudy monsoon days) and the screen remained perfectly clear. A welcome change from my Samsung Galaxy Spica, which really made me difficult to use it is proper sunlight !
- Not only is the Nova Display bright and vivid, LG claims it saves 50% battery as compared to AMOLED.
- 2 megapixel front camera (only SGS II has it) in addition to 5 megapixel back. It also has HD recording (720p). Although, I have not tried it as yet, looks good from whatever I have seen it as yet
- Direct Wireless transfer – LG Optimus Black is the only phone that has it. It is very similar to Bluetooth transfer, only that it is much faster. This is an awesome feature when you want to transfer heavy files and it supports any wi-fi device !
- It is unbelievably light – All of 112 grams I think, It is one of the lightest Smartphones for its screen size
- Very comfortable form factor – Although, it has a large 4” screen, much thinner – Infact, I guess it is the thinnest phone of the lot around 6 mm thick.
- Full Front Gorilla Glass from top to bottom with no buttons. The front of this phone is probably the best I have seen!
- Gesture strokes…this sure does have bragging rights attached to it!
- Mpeg, DIV, Mp4 Video format play …throw any video file at it and it should probably play
- The biggest reason I got this phone was the relatively low cost. I tried searching online and the cost is roughly 20,000 including Flipkart. But I was lucky to get it at Rs. 18,800/- at a local store!
At that cost LG Optimus Black is real value…No doubt about it !
Let us know if you have any questions…Comments are open