The craze over the new update from Google’s Android OS has been making rounds since a couple of months and the wait has proved everything but futile. The advent of Android Lollipop or the Android 5.0 has incentivized a burgeoning rapport from the wide number of Android users and has cued in wondrous features for their avail.
The number of users anticipating Android Lollipop phones in India has been on the rise, particularly the smartphone users. With that in mind, a number of smartphone manufacturers have already charted a layout for their respective models which are to have factory installed Android 5.0 update. Certain other companies promise the feasibility of Android Lollipop compatibility in their models in due time.
These series are monitored by Google directly and are guaranteed to receive the latest updates till 2 years from the launch date. The phones include:
- Micromax Canvas A1– The Canvas A1 is one of the most popular and most expensive phone in the Android One lineup costing Rs. 6,499 on Amazon. Google has promised to keep its customers happy with their timely software updates for the phone.
Buy Canvas A1
- Spice Mi- 498 Dream Uno– This is another Android One phone which shall be a recipient of the Android Lollipop update in the Indian market.
Buy Spice Dream Uno
- Karbonn Sparkle V– It is the cheapest Android One phone costing just under Rs. 5,800 on Snapdeal. This is another good Android 5.0 phone.
Buy Karbonn Sparkle V
These phones shall receive the update but it is unconfirmed as to whether the access shall be limited or full-fledged as on flagship models.
Nexus series was made to define how Android smartphones should be. The Nexus lineup receives the software updates directly from Google for a period of at least 18 months from the launch date.
Nexus 6 is the first Android smartphone to come with Android Lollipop pre-installed. It is made by Motorola and is based on the Moto X (2nd gen.). Buy Nexus 6.
Nexus 5 running the Android 5.0 at the moment is also slated to receive one more major Android OS upgrade next year. Get Nexus 5.
The models in this catalogue are the Nexus 5 which was a flagship of 2014, and is confirmed for becoming an Android 5.0 phone.
Nexus 4, which was released in 2012, shall not upset its owners as Google already released the Android Lollipop 5.0 upgrade for it. Buy Nexus 4.
Motorola has been very aggressive at rolling out latest software updates for its models. In fact, Motorola has vied all endeavors to bring in Android 5.0 on its devices earlier than Nexus.
- Moto X (1st and 2nd)– These phone brought alive the hibernating Moto brand to life with their excellent functionality and aesthetics. (End of 2014). Buy Moto X 2nd gen.
- Moto G– A phone that I’ve used and found quite formidable for its pricing and equally impressive features is another candidate for the update. Both its versions launched in 2013 and 2014 (End of 2014). Buy Moto G.
- Moto E (1st and 2nd)– “Made to last. Priced for all.” The Moto E really holds true to its headline and has received all major Android updates till date and is announced to receive the latest Android Lollipop upgrade as well. (End of 2014). Get Moto E now.
Can Xperia be far behind in this age of advancing UI and performances? Nah!
Sony has confirmed that its Premium Z series devices are to get the Android Lollipop update. Sony has however remained tight-lipped about the Lollipop upgrade for other phones not belonging to the Xperia Z lineup. (Early 2015). Buy a Sony Xperia Z phone.
LG G3 and G2 will receive the much anticipated Android 5.0.2 upgrade soon in India too. (Early 2015)
Buy LG G3.
Established brands like HTC refuse to remain in queue with competition mounting up in their market vicinity. Their devices like HTC One M8, M7, One Mini, One Mini 2, will get the taste of sweet Android Lollipop. Apparently HTC has been trying to get the update on its phones and it seems likely that it shall get the update soon.
Buy HTC M8, or HTC M7.
Micromax is also offering a couple of phones which will be upgraded to Android Lollipop in near future. The most popular among them are Yu Yureka and Yu Yuphoria.
Yureka Yu costs Rs. 8,999 and is available on Amazon.in. It runs on Android Lollipop based CM12 OS and is powered by a Snapdragon 615 octa-core chip, packs 2 GB RAM and 16 GB ROM, along with support for microSD cards up to 32 GB. Its other specs include a 5.5″ IPS HD display protected by Gorilla Glass 3, Dual SIM with 4G LTE support for India, 13 MP rear AF camera with LED flash, 5 MP front camera, and a 2500 mAh Li-Po battery.
Yu Yuphoria was recently launched to compete with Xiaomi Redmi 2 and Lenovo A6000 Plus. It packs a 5″ IPS LCD HD display covered with Gorilla Glass 3, 8 MP AF rear cam with LED flash, 5 MP FF front camera, 1.2 GHz Snapdragon 410 quad-core chip, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB ROM, and a 2230 mAh battery. It also supports dual SIM along with 4G LTE, and runs on CM12 Lollipop OS.
The advent of Android Lollipop phones in India will not only revolutionize the current smartphone scenario but will bring a greater savvy minded attitude to a larger population. I’m expecting even more companies to come up with the updates by 2015. Fingers crossed!!!