The new iPhone 7 was unveiled by Tim Cook and it took the world by storm. Well, I am joking. To me, the iPhone 7 is more of an incremental upgrade than a ground-breaking piece of hardware. However, the phone doesn’t fail to impress me with its new hardware and the design. Even though the changes are just incremental they still count and take the iPhone experience to the next level.
The iPhone 7 packs a faster ‘A10 Fusion’ processor which makes the phone up to 3x faster than the iPhone 6. This new chip is much more power efficient two thus makes the iPhone 7 last 2 hours longer than the iPhone 6s.
So if you are planning to either upgrade from iPhone 6s or are planning to switch to an iPhone then you must know the following features of the iPhone 7. Who knows you might change your mind and get yourself an iPhone 7.
- Dual cameras- iPhone 7 Plus is the first iPhone to house a dual-camera setup (not present in iPhone 7) having different focal lengths for providing DSLR like depth of field along with bokeh-effects. This new 12 MP f/1.8 camera setup allows for better low-light imaging, faster performance and better power efficiency.
- 2x Optical Zoom- One of main advantages of having a dual camera setup is the 2x optical zoom. Out of the two cameras, one has a wide-angle lens while the other has a 2x telephoto lens for taking distant shots. With this combo the users can zoom in up to 10x while taking a shot.
- Quad LED flash- iPhone 7 houses 4 LEDs- 2 warm and 2 cool for taking better photos at night. This quad-LED setup produces 50% more light and is coupled with a flicker sensor for making the flash look like daylight.
- Water Resistance- While the Android smartphone have this features for years now, this is the first iPhone to have sport an IP67 rating making the phone dust and water resistant.
- 7 MP Selfie Camera- The front camera has been bumped from the previous 5 MP to 7 MP for offering better video quality and selfies.
- Touch Sensitive Home Button- The iconic physical home button on the iPhones is now gone for good. Apple has replaced it with a pressure-sensitive home button similar to what we have in the MacBooks.
- The Lightning Port- Although a bit controversial, Apple has decided to do away with the familiar 3.5 mm audio jack in favour of the lightning port that supports digital output. Now if you worried that your expensive but slightly old earphone will eat the dust when you buy iPhone 7 then worry not. You can invest in a lightning-port to 3.5 mm converter and use your beloved headphones as well.
- Stereo speakers- Despite huge demand, this is the first iPhone to feature a dual-speaker setup allowing you to enjoy your favourite music track in stereo. This makes the new iPhone up to 2x louder than the iPhone 6s, technically.
- Jet Black colour- The iPhone 7 comes in 5 colour variants including silver, gold, rose gold, black, and ‘jet black. Note that the black variant has matte finish while the jet black variant has a high gloss finish.
- 256 GB Storage- Up till now iPhones have been coming with storage options like 16 GB, 64 GB, and 128 GB. The iPhone 7 ditches this trend and comes only in 32 GB, 128 GB, and 256 GB storage variants. This is welcome move from Apple as we all know that the 16 GB version was no good for anyone.
Price & Availability
The iPhone 7 is priced at $649 for the 32 GB model, $749 and $849 for the 128 GB and 256 GB models respectively.
In India though, we expect the base model (32 GB) to be priced upwards of Rs. 60,000.
The official launch date in India hasn’t been announced yet but we will let you know once we have more updates. Stay tuned!