While we couldn’t be there at the Google I/O event, we are bringing you the summarized view of what’s happening out there. Good folks at Engadget and BGR are liveblogging the event. If you just want everything packaged in a capsule this is it.
- Google showed of Samung Galaxy Tab 10.1 which will be launched in the next 2 weeks. Folks at the event are getting it free.
- Android home automation could just be the kicker everyone is waiting for.
- Android Open Accessory announced. Any Android device can talk with any other Android device built on Android 2.3.4 or later. Developers can use the ADK. (Accessory Development Kit).
- Next version of Android is in fact Ice Cream Sandwich
- Google TV will get Android market place
- Android updates to the OEM’s for 18 months as long as the hardware allows. A whole lot of manufacturers are onboard. Possibly putting an end to the fragmentation. Your device will receive timely updates of the new software developments, a right which was reserved for Google’s Nexus devices so far. HTC, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson and Motorola are onboard. Those are the folks which matter from a Indian context.
- 3.1 Honeycomb is not just for tablets: New features :a new multitasking functionality, resizable widgets, Android 3.1 devices can act like USB hosts (allows you to download images directly from digital camera to tablet; supports game controllers, keyboards, mice, etc.)
- Rent and stream movies using Android Market. Stream to the cloud
- 30 day rental period
- 24 hours to complete the movie.
- Stream movie over your browser and watch on your computer
- Download movies for offline viewing. Also called as pinning.
- Music Beta : All your music in the cloud
- Instant Mix : 25 similar songs. Genius playlist.
- No cables.
- Recently played music is cached for instant access.
- Beta out. Only for US. Everyone else can apply for beta and wait.
Android in numbers
Related Videos From Our Channel
- 100 million Android devices activated
- 36 OEM’s, 215 Carriers, 450k developers
- 312 devices in 120 countries
- Activating 400,000 Android devices everyday
- 200,000 apps in Android Market
- 4.5 billion application installs